Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Taking Time With Tator!

We call my six year old Kaden, Tator, and today I learned an extremely important lesson. If your kids are strongly desiring your time, stop whatever you had planned, and be with them! This morning was a normal morning. I woke up and helped my 8 year old get on the bus for school, made breakfast, changed my little girls diaper, and was heading out the door to go to work. As I was almost out the door, my Six year old was in tears saying, Daddy I Don't Want You To Go. I thought I would be able to counter by saying, "When I get home I will spend time with you, and do whatever you want." But it totally backfired as he broke into tears and said, "All I want to do is spend time with you today." At that point I realized that Tator (Kaden) was strongly desiring my time. So today I cancelled everything to be with my son, and it has been awesome. We haven't really done anything super cool, we went to the gas station, ate a couple donuts, washed the windshield of the van, ate Jimmy Johns for lunch, watched Tom & Jerry, and visited my wife at work. Tator looked at me after eating lunch and said "Dad I Love You Bigger Than Anything." I think it was well worth cancelling everything to be with my son who strongly desired my time. I can't wait to see what else we do today.
PS. The only reason I have time to write this right now at 1:21pm is because he is totally obsessed with one of his favorite cartoons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Kev! I giggled when i read the doughnuts part because that just says Kaden so well...
I am not the sappy type like this too much but the whole time i was reading your blog i was thinking about how God just wants to spend time with us that way too....just wants to spend the day with us. Wants us to just drop everything for a little time to completely focus on him, and not give him the leftover empty energy at the end of the day.
Maybe he was trying to wack me on the head or something, but it just kept coming back.

thanks Kev, give Kaden a high five for me.

Alyssa B

Nathan Johnson said...

That was awesome! I've been blessed to be able to spend time like that with both my daughters. Not a lot in life compares to the feeling we get when enjoying our children. I think God feels the same when we spend time with Him!